Buying a Wall Oven
Many modern kitchens have traded the standard range for a cooktop and wall oven. The look is modern and polished and there is the added bonus of flexibility of where you install these appliances. The wall oven is installed at a height that works for you, so no bending over when you check on and retrieve your food.
A wall oven is smaller than the oven that comes with a full range. So, having two of them will solve this limitation. Microwaves can be single, double or combo. They can be positioned side by side or stacked one on top of the other. Also, a double wall oven provides the flexibility of baking and roasting different items at different temperatures simultaneously. There are some double wall ovens that come with a built-in microwave. These are more expensive and usually come with as self-cleaning feature and electronic controls.
Wall ovens are mostly electric although there are gas models available. This decision is mostly based on your household’s power source as well as your personal preferences. Gas ovens require a standard 110V power source and a dedicated gas line. Electric ovens are hardwired with electrical leads attached to the oven, and don't require a plug-in outlet. These ovens require a 220V power source.
Wall oven prices can start at $700 for a single wall oven and go up to $4000 for a fully loaded model, which makes your budget, cabinetry measurements, space available, power source and cooking preferences, the most important factors in the decision making process.
These are some of the features to look for to secure maximum convenience while using your wall oven:
- Larger viewing window
- Brighter interior lighting
- Removable oven doors
- Temperature probes
- Porcelain racks instead of stainless steel racks that have smooth-glide tracks so that are can be fully extended
- Electronic display
- Delay bake
- Warm and hold
- Bread proofing
- Variable broil (a lower setting that provides heat from the top but at a lower temperature than regular broil)
- Dual radiant (periodically turns the top broiler on and off to ensure even roasting and browning)
- Sabbath mode
- Control lockout (disables controls for child protection)
- Smart features (WiFi connectivity, Google Home and Amazon Alexa, remote control)